Here are a few tips to help maximize supervision! Regardless of how frequently you engage in supervision it is a good idea to make the most out of each session.
- Have a Goal: How do you want to develop as a professional? What are the specific skills you want to enhance? In what ways do you want to change as a result of supervision?
- Come Prepared: Bring in a set agenda with specific cases or topics for discussion. It is your time; being organized will help guide your development.
- Keep a journal: Keeping a journal of reflections before and after supervision allows for further idea development. Many supervisors require this and can offer guidance.
- Follow-up in and outside of supervision: If you tried something new, talk about in supervision. If you talked about a new skill, try it out in practice. Reviewing and reflecting on clinical skills can be key in growth and development.
- Be open,honest, and thoughtful: Supervisors are there to help you develop and provide effective care. The more open we are the more opportunity there is for growth.